Your winter skincare bible in brief
We love winter! Even the thought of curling up next to the fire, sipping warm cups of cocoa, and getting cosy hugs from the winter sun bring such joy. It’s a pleasant change for us but may not always be for our skin. As the nights get longer, it’s likely that more than just your body clock is being thrown off-kilter. Tight skin, cracked knuckles, and chapped lips? Hello, wintertime! We may love you but we may not be entirely ready for you.
Throughout the colder months, our skin looks and feels dry and dull. The cold breezy winds attack the skin’s moisture levels, starting to affect its smoothness and overall health. To add to that, there is no urge to drink that glass of water kept on our bedside, disrupting our water consumption too. Result? Dehydrated skin.
Here is where a carefully-thought, consistent winter skincare routine becomes essential. And it really does not have to be complicated to be effective. All you have to know is, winter skin care should be personal to you -based on YOUR skin type, daily activities, and nutritional requirements to ensure that you are taking extra care of your skin. Let’s look at some basics of winter skincare you must keep in mind while building your routine.
Additions to make to your winter skincare routine
Not only does our everyday life and eating habits change from season to season, our skin does too. A season-based routine helps you pick the right products, preventing any further skin woes.
- Get a milk cleanser- Before going to bed, use a milk-based cleanser and thoroughly cleanse the face. It helps in removing dirt and impurities, while not stripping the skin off its moisture.
- Exfoliate every other day- For this step, you can use a gentle scrub or a homemade scrub made with oats or coffee and coconut oil or milk. This will reduce the appearance of flakiness, if any, and nourish the skin too.
- Massage on a daily basis– You must massage your skin every day, particularly after exfoliating. Try any good face oil and massage the face for a few minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water.
- Weekly hydrating face mask- A winter hydrating mask gives your skin a higher degree of rejuvenation. Try one of our homemade remedies listed below. Blend all the ingredients nicely and let the paste sit on your face till it dries. Rinse with lukewarm water.
Caring for your skin during winters, naturally-
If you’re wondering how to naturally care for your skin in winters, let us whip up some recipes for you.
Homemade remedies are generally thought to be the best because they are effective and have no side effects. To achieve radiant and glowing skin, use any of the following remedies:
1. Banana face pack :
If your skin is too dry, you can use a banana face pack. All you have to do is mash the bananas, add milk, honey, and lime juice, and apply it to your face.
2. With Almond Oil:
Almond oil is extremely beneficial to the skin because it retains moisture and maintains a natural glow. For the best results, massage almond oil onto your face and leave it overnight.
3. Strawberry-Honey Face Mask:
Another wonder is the strawberry-honey face mask that also works as a soft exfoliator for your skin. Just make a paste and leave it on. Scrub your face while rinsing with lukewarm water and dab it dry. This leaves your skin moisturized for the day and adds a rosy tint to your face.
4. Oatmeal And Milk Mask:
Make an oatmeal and milk paste- Apply it to your face, gently rub and leave it to dry. After just a few minutes, rinse it with water. This will remove the dead, dry skin from your face, leaving it glowing and beautiful.
5. Cucumber Remedy:
Cucumber is the most effective remedy for treating any type of skin problem. It is high in water content and can be eaten or applied to the face if any kind of irritation persists with the skin drying.
6. Coconut Remedy:
All hail the great savior that is coconut oil, because there is nothing it cannot do – except perhaps be used on oily skin types! Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer for dry skin. You may use it as a body oil or apply it right before your shower for a silky smooth after effect.
7. Aloe Vera Gel Remedy:
Because of its non-greasy texture, aloe vera gel makes for an excellent moisturizer during winters and can be used as an aftershave. It also helps to keep your skin firm by preventing acne and wrinkles.
8. Raw Milk Remedy :
Raw milk can be used as a skin toner. It contains antioxidants and lactic acid, which help to even out your skin tone and remove dark spots on your face. To help your skin hydrate and glow, combine raw milk with ingredients such as papaya, honey, and so on.
9. Hydration Remedy:
Last but never the least – HYDRATE! Hydrating your skin from the inside flushes toxins from your body, balances the oils on your face, and aids in wrinkle reduction by eliminating any dryness from within. Women should drink at least 1.6 liters of water per day, while men should drink about 2 liters.
Skincare tips to ensure a happy winter!
- Avoid harsh cleansers : Wash your skin every day to remove dirt and pollutants that have accumulated. If you have dry or sensitive skin, only use a gentle natural cleanser every few days. Find oil-based, hydrating cleansers for your skin for maximum moisture.
- Moisturize twice : Unless your skin is extremely oily, you should use a moisturizer every day to keep it hydrated and healthy. Your skin requires moisturizer all year because both indoor winter heat and the summer sun can be equally damaging.
- Sun protection : Use sunscreen whenever possible, regardless of whether you intend to spend a lot of time in the sun. The sun’s rays are extremely harmful. If you make it a habit to apply sunscreen every day, you will never be without protection, especially when your skin is facing winter woes.
- Show Eczema the door : Eczema is a catch-all term for various types of skin inflammation. It is distinguished by dry, reddened skin that itches or burns. Stay one step ahead of the game by frequently moisturizing with an oil-based ointment. Inquire with your dermatologist about prescription medications.
- Apply lip balm with sunscreen : Avoid spending too much time in the sun or wind. Do not lick your lips; it will only make your chapped lips worse.
Hoping all the winter skincare tips, products and routine will help you this season. It may feel like a task that baffles you at first but winter skincare is not only extremely important, it could also provide you with fruitful results that could last for years to come! Your skin will thank you for it.