The best moisturizers for oily skin
Investing in a moisturizer when your face is already producing an excess amount of natural oils, seems counterintuitive, doesn’t it?
Skincare experts from around the world believe otherwise. In fact, at times, your oily skin could just be craving adequate hydration. “Sometimes your glands produce more oil than normal because they’re dehydrated,” says Vanessa Marc, celebrity aesthetician and owner of Vanessa Marc Spa in New York.
But choosing the right moisturizer for oily skin is no walk in the park.
It takes research to pick one that provides just the right amount of hydration, instead of exacerbating oil production in your skin.
While picking a moisturizer for oily skin, it’s important to look for one that’s light-weight and non-comedogenic (that means it shouldn’t clog your pores). Ideally, it should contain some anti-bacterial or anti-inflammatory ingredients to help soothe acne or any other inflammation that may arise as a result of excess oil secretion. Non-greasy, oil-free and gel-based moisturizers are a boon to oily skin.
Even with the know-how acquired from scouring the internet, it can be a mammoth task to pick a moisturizer that’s just right for your unique skin concern. Hence, we’ve put together a list of the 5 best moisturizers for oily skin:
1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
If you’ve ever paid any heed to advice from renowned skincare and beauty bloggers, you’d know that most of them swear by this one.
In addition to the Hydro Boost being non-comedogenic, alcohol- and oil-free, it also contains glycerin and hyaluronic acid, which leaves the skin feeling hydrated and plump.
Hyaluronic acid can hold up to 1000 times of its weight in water, helping you achieve more hydrated, plumper, and firmer skin.
It smoothes and firms your skin while bringing translucency and elasticity to it.
- The right amount of hydration
- 72 hours of non-stop moisture.
- Induces the production of Hyaluronic Acid in your skin
- Air light texture seeps 2 times deeper into your skin
- Strengthens the skin’s barrier against harmful external factors
- Not ideal for sensitive skin
- Active agents might irritate acne-prone skin
2. Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer
Concocted specifically for oily skin, the Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer contains non-comedogenic ingredients like Green Tea and Glycolic Acid. These powerful ingredients help unveil smoother and younger-looking skin beneath.
Green tea, being abundant in antioxidants, acts against the acne formation process.
Serving a dual purpose, this moisturizer can be doubled up as a night cream too. Leaving a fresh, non-sticky and matte finish, this product works to infuse your skin with controlled hydration and combats acne.
- Lightweight formula
- Shine free texture
- Fortified with green tea extracts and glycolic acid
- It helps get rid of dead skin cells and fastens the skin renewal process
- Can also be used as a night cream
- Not ideal for sensitive skin
3. Kaya Purifying Nourisher Face Cream
With Aloe Vera as one of its main ingredients, the Kaya Purifying Nourisher Cream provides your skin with intense hydration without leaving it greasy.
Its calming essence shields your skin from any kind of inflammation. Fortified with Almond oil, Rose extracts, and Sodium PCA, this product keeps your skin supple and replenished.
To add to all of that, the weightless texture of this moisturizer lets your skin retain moisture for hours. Leaving a velvety touch with the very first application, it keeps your skin supple round the clock.
- Boasts of a feather-light texture
- Works well on acne-prone skin
- Features a smooth matte finish
- Provides long-lasting hydration
- Fragrance-free and clinically tested to be non-comedogenic
- Has a pungent smell
4. Clinique Moisture Surge 72 Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator
A cult-favourite amongst renowned beauty bloggers, this moisturiser contains a burst of Aloe water, Hyaluronic Acid, and humectants. As light as water, this replenishing gel keeps rehydrating your skin by allowing it to take moisture from its own internal water source. Living up to its name, this product keeps your skin plumped and dewy for up to 72 hours.
By fortifying and repairing skin barriers, it minimises water loss and keeps environmental pollutants at bay. One of the best high-end moisturizers for oily skin available in India, this paraben-free gel-based moisturizer provides an instant boost of moisture. A super holding matrix of humectants and polymers seal in moisture for up to 72 hours.
- Boasts of a rich and soothing texture.
- Gets speedily absorbed in your skin.
- Fortified with powerful ingredients like Aloe water and Hyaluronic acid.
- Its auto replenishing technology helps your skin to fetch moisture from its own internal water source.
- It works relentlessly for 72 hours to keep your skin hydrated.
- Not ideal for sensitive skin
5. SebaMed face Clear Gel
Fortified with pH 5.5, this water-based gel is specially formulated to restore your skin while preventing the growth of acne lesions.
It is loaded with active moisturizing agents like Hyaluronic Acid and Aloe Vera. Aloe vera is known for its healing and soothing properties. Precious allantoin and panthenol nourish the skin; leaving it soft and supple.
A minuscule amount of this water-light gel is enough to moisturize your entire face. Its rapid absorption power ensures that all ingredients effortlessly seep into your skin.
While staying true to its claim of being non-oily, this product is also paraben-free and helps in balancing the pH level of your skin. Unlike most skin care products that contain fragrances and additives, this one is devoid of any skin irritants.
- Its pH value of 5.5 stabilizes the health of your skin
- It feels super lightweight on your skin
- Soothes irritated and acne-prone skin
- Increases skin’s moisture-holding capacity
- Free from oils, emulsifiers, artificial fragrances and colour
- It has a slightly sticky consistency
An end to your dilemma
While it’s easier to focus on the demerits of oily skin such as acne, its merits include having a slower pace towards ageing. Given the right attention and care, it can thrive in the unlikeliest climates. And a good moisturizer can be your greatest ally to help minimise oil production, leaving your skin supple and nourished. Besides picking the right face wash and toner, a good moisturizer can restore the dewiness & elasticity of your skin. So the next time you think that having oily skin exempts you from using a moisturizer, think again.