The Magic of Using Onion on Your Hair. Let’s Dig Deep!
If you’re tired of searching for remedies for long, lustrous hair, it might be time to look inside your own kitchen and get your hands on some onion. Yes, onions, your daily cooking staple, might just be the answer to all your hair woes!
Now, most of us would be rather sceptical about applying onion juice, most likely due to that pungent aroma that we are all so incredibly familiar with. But if you’re willing to make a sacrifice for your hair and look beyond that, you might just uncover the key to preventing hair loss and getting that long, thick mane that you’ve always longed for.
Read on to know why this home remedy is one of the best and most effective options you can use to treat a variety of hair and scalp issues at home!
First, let’s look at the why.
So, onion on your hair – is it any good?
The short answer: yes.
The long answer: While it hasn’t been extensively researched, there is a plethora of anecdotal evidence to support this claim. Not only that, but the research that has been conducted has reflected positive results. And, while a direct correlation may be hard to cement, it has been studied that onion juice contains nutrients that can play a major role in nourishing the hair follicles and improve blood circulation on the scalp, leading to better and thicker hair growth.
So, we’d go ahead and say – yes, onion is actually very good for your hair!
But, why onions?
Onion juice has a bunch of powerful nutrients and antioxidants that can greatly benefit your hair health. These include:
- Dietary sulphur: This mineral is responsible for the adequate production of enzymes and proteins in the body. The sulphur in onion juice can aid in the nourishment of your strands and encourage hair growth.
- Anti-bacterial properties: Say goodbye to scalp infections – onion juice fights bacteria like a Targaryen, which can in turn help prevent hair loss due to the resulting infections as well.
- Antioxidants: These aid in slowing down the ageing process and reduce damage to your hair follicles, thus encouraging hair growth.
The massaging of onion juice into your scalp also brings with it an additional benefit – stimulating the scalp and increasing blood circulation! Don’t we all love a bonus?
Will onion be good for my specific hair concern?
Onion juice has the power to combat a variety of hair and scalp-related concerns, so if you’ve got any of the below issues, definitely give this home remedy a try!
- Alopecia: This is a condition that causes hair loss in patches. In this case, onion juice presents itself as a great option to stimulate hair regrowth.
- Dandruff: With its anti-fungal properties, onion juice has the power to effectively fight dandruff, especially when mixed in with olive oil.
- Itchy scalp: If you’re tired of constantly scratching your head, onion juice’s anti-inflammatory properties may be the key to giving your fingers a rest.
- Greying hair: While there is no research supporting the claim of reversing the greying of hair, onion juice can help reduce grey hairs.
Now, let’s understand how you can reap the benefits!
How can I use onion on my hair?
While there are many oils and serums available in the market that have onion extract as a key ingredient, it’s always best to get the purest form from the most natural source. So, if you’re wondering how to use onion for your hair, we’d suggest picking up an onion, peeling and chopping it finely, and running it through your food blender.
After that, pass it through a thin sieve or cloth to ensure that there are no onion bits floating around, and you’ve got your onion juice ready to go!
For the application, simply apply it like any other hair oil – take a generous amount and massage it gently into your scalp all over, and leave it in for about fifteen minutes. Rinse it off with a mild shampoo that suits you, and make sure that you don’t forget the conditioner!
What are some power-packed mixes and treatments I can make?
If you are in the mood to take your hair care routine to the next level, create your very own homemade concoctions that target specific hair concerns:
- Add in some honey or coconut oil to give your strands a boost of hydration and lock in the moisture
- Say goodbye to frizzy hair by adding eggs to the mix
- Mix in some olive oil to get rid of any pesky dandruff on your scalp
- Blend in some curry leaves to prevent premature greying
- Give your hair growth a boost by adding yoghurt or lemon juice to the mix
- Add some ginger to promote blood circulation in your scalp
Key points to keep in mind.
Is this completely safe?
As long as you’re not allergic to onions, you should be good. As with any treatment, it’s always good to do a patch test on your skin beforehand to ensure that you don’t experience any rashes or allergies. Along with this, be very careful to not get the juice in your eyes during the application, as it can really sting! If that happens, immediately rinse your eyes with water.
Oh, and if you’re concerned about the odour, you can add a few drops of lemon juice into your onion juice or hair treatment mixture to neutralise it. But in most cases, it shouldn’t linger after it has been washed off.
Is onion on hair a sure-shot remedy?
As is the case with any remedy, you’ve just got to see what works for you. You might experience high to moderate success, or none at all. Our bodies are all different, and a lot of it is trial-and-error. Moreover, the research and supporting information on onion juice for hair growth and wellness is mostly anecdotal and official studies and trials are limited in number. There is also a lot of mystery around whether it will lead to permanent regrowth, or if the effects will stop once regular application is stopped.
However, onion is a relatively affordable hair treatment method and definitely worth a try! Remember, you do have to give it time and be regular with your application practice for best results.