Best niacinamide serums for that boost of beauty
It’s a new dawn for the skincare industry, and we literally mean it, just seeing the barrage of products that take the market by storm every single day we wake up. But trust us when we say, of all the things you see, allow niacinamide to make some place in your vanity (and heart too). Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3 and is by far the star ingredient for treating literally any skin concern! It strengthens the skin barrier (the skin’s outer layer), boosts its resilience, and improves texture by making pores appear smaller.
This is one skincare serum that we urge you to squeeze in your skincare routine. It has both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, so you can expect a smoother and more hydrated skin with consistent use. If you’re not sure where to begin, we recommend that niacinamide newcomers start with a concentration of less than 5% and work their way up.
1. Paula’s Choice BOOST 10% Niacinamide Booster
This combination is an ideal way to include niacinamide in your regular skincare regimen. The name says it all: a powerful 10% concentration of niacinamide in a lightweight booster with a few additional vital components. The formulation is really sheer and works well on its own, but you can also include a few drops of your favourite moisturiser.
- Promotes a brighter, younger-looking appearance
- Niacinamide (vitamin B3) visibly minimises pore size
- Sheer, ultra-light liquid formula
- a great simple formula, but with well-chosen ingredients
- the soothing, moisturising, purifying, brightening, anti-aging, anti-oxidant all in one magical bottle
- No fragrance or fluffs
- the size of the bottle, 20ml is small (that being said, it lasts at least 4 months)
- the price is not cheap, especially for 20ml
2. THE ORDINARY Niacinamide 10% Zinc 1%
With a surprisingly great price and the (remarkable) power of niacinamide and zinc, this active serum is ideal for treating blemishes, enlarged pores, and uneven skin tone. Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% from The Ordinary controls sebum production to minimise pores and prevent blemish-causing bacteria, keeping your complexion clean, calm, and collected.
- This potent serum targets breakouts and minimises pores
- A dream come true for oily skin as it regulates sebum production
- Featuring high concentrations of two of the most efficacious blemish-battling ingredients
- Quickly soothes the skin and improves its overall health
- Oil control
- Prevents/controls (mild to moderate) acne and fades blemishes faster
- Brightens and evens out the skin’s complexion
- Slightly minimises pores
- Not that hydrating
- Dries out fast, which makes it a bit difficult to spread
3. Minimalist Niacinamide Serum
The best niacinamide in India for beginners, especially because it isn’t too heavy on the pocket and still contains the power duo of niacin and zinc, which prevents breakouts or pimples owing to their strong antimicrobial properties.
- This serum is a soothing, skin-tone enhancer
- Vitamin B3 and mineral zinc duo are potent enough to reduce visible blemishes and clear congested pores.
- A unique formulation based on aloe juice instead of water makes it ultra light that easily absorbs in with non-sticky residue.
- Skin-friendly and suits all skin types
- Fades acne scars
- Reduces clogged pores
- Smoothes and brightens skin
4. The Derma Co 10% Niacinamide Face Serum
The Derma Co 10% niacinamide serum is a blended mix of niacinamide and a 10% concentration of this vitamin is supported by zinc salt of pyrrolidone carboxylic acid.
- It reduces hyperpigmentation.
- It reduces inflammation, skin redness, and blotchiness
- Regulates oil production
- Sunscreen should be used to protect the skin from sun damage
- Treats pimples and acne-prone skin
- Protect skin from oxidative stress
- Reduce the appearance of pores
- Helps heal skin
- It has antibacterial properties
- Contains fragrance
5. The Pilgrim Niacinamide 5% + Alpha Arbutin 1% Skin Clarifying Serum
The best niacinamide serum in India for acne-prone skin: This lightweight natural oil is infused with zinc, which helps regulate excessive oil production, diminishes the severity of acne, and promotes healthy skin. Say goodbye to breakouts forever!
- It prevents future breakouts
- It lightens the skin tone
- It reduces the appearance of acne scars and pits
- Evens the skin tone
- Fades the red, purple, and brown post-acne marks
- Regulates sebum production
6. RE’QUIL Pore Refining 5% Niacinamide Serum
Niacinamide is the ultimate pore refiner. If you’re looking to repair and resurface your skin to reduce the appearance of pores from the root level, niacinamide is your best bet. This serum is particularly great because of the lower concentration, and the cherry on top is that it’s for all skin types and beginners too.
- It tightens and minimises the appearance of enlarged pores
- It lifts, firms up, and smoothes the skin
- It restores skin’s elasticity, radiance and resilience
- Leaves the skin feeling incredibly smooth and glowing
- Fragrance-free, suits all skin types
7. Plum 10% Niacinamide Face Serum with Rice Water
The Plum serum comes with 10% niacinamide (vitamin B3), which is a great solution that helps in clearing blemishes and works on hyperpigmentation, all while strengthening the skin barrier function.
- Quick absorbent serum containing rice water as the key ingredient
- Prevents inflammation with squalene, vitamin E and natural caffeine
- Perfect for daily usage
- Non-toxic and non-greasy
- Free of synthetic colours and artificial fragrances
- 100% vegan
- Don’t use it in case of severe acne or sensitive skin
8. Simple Skincare Hemp Seed Oil Serum
Formulated with 10% hemp seed oil and niacinamide, this serum is an absolute go-to for those with sensitive skin. It is rich in antioxidants and consists of naturally derived ingredients leaving your skin hydrated.
- Protects against collagen degradation
- Vegan, PETA certified cruelty free
- Free from 2000+ harsh chemicals that can upset your skin
- Dermatologically approved, hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
- No alcohol and no parabens
- Absolutely lightweight
What to look for ?
- Ingredient concentration
It is ideal to initially look for a concentration of 4–5% niacinamide. If the concentration is not on the list, check the ingredient label. Ideally, it should be listed as one of the first ingredients to make sure you’re getting enough.
- Other ingredients
Of course, niacinamide is a star in and of itself, but the beauty of this substance is that it mixes seamlessly with almost any other component. Considering the vast range of benefits it offers, you want to make the most of it.
In other words, if you want to use it to strengthen your skin barrier, it is better to find a product that also contains ceramides. “Ceramides” are compounds found naturally in the skin and are commonly added to skin care products. One such example is coconut oil containing a ceramide called linoleic acid.
- What is niacinamide?
Niacinamide is a form of vitamin B3. It’s an ingredient found in a number of moisturising skin-care products, as well as certain foods and supplements like multivitamins.
- Can I use niacinamide daily?
Yes. In fact, you can use niacinamide-containing topical products from AM to PM. It’s a mild ingredient, so it’s often recommended for people with sensitive skin too.
- Does niacinamide cause any side-effects?
Try using the niacinamide in fewer quantities initially. If your skin is very sensitive, stick to 5%. At the same time, look out for reactions (like redness) while starting a new product.
- How long does it take to see results?
If you are using a new niacinamide product, you may have to wait for at least 4 –12 weeks for the results to appear. To test this, take before and after pictures of your face.